Fragonard Panels Placed in Skylit Illumination of East Gallery during Gallery Relighting and Refurbishment of Fragonard Room
June 29, 2007 to October 15, 2007
For the first time since their arrival at the Frick mansion in 1915, the principal panels of Jean-Honoré Fragonard'sProgress of Love series were seen in dramatically different, partly-skylit illumination and outside of their long-standing gallery installation. These monumental works are a major attraction at the museum, and they were temporarily placed on view in the East Gallery while the Fragonard Room underwent its first major relighting and refurbishment in seventy-five years.
The intriguing story behind the commission, rejection, and rehousing of Fragonard’s paintings is brought to life by Colin B. Bailey, former Deputy Director and Peter Jay Sharp Chief Curator at the Frick (now Director of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco) in an updated video produced in 2013. Bailey leads viewers through the narrative of the Progress of Love, revealing the rich meanings imbedded in Fragonard’s paintings while also illuminating the artist’s exquisite technique.