Henry Clay Frick

Resize Text

Tintype of Henry Clay Frick, circa 1880

photo of Henry Clay Frick in hat standing against building facade, circa 1880

Portrait of Henry Clay Frick

photo of Henry Clay Frick, circa 1916

Henry Clay Frick, age 25, 1874

photo of Henry Clay Frick, age 25, circa 1874

Portrait of Henry Clay Frick, taken in Paris during his first trip abroad in 1880.

photo of Henry Clay Frick,circa 1880,  "Paris 1880" inscribed

Adelaide and Henry Clay Frick on their wedding trip, Boston 1882.

Adelaide and Henry Clay Frick wearing outerwear, circa 1882

Adelaide Frick in her wedding gown. The Fricks were married on December 15, 1881.

Adelaide Frick in wedding gown, circa 1881

Left to right: Charles Knoedler, Andrew W. Mellon, and Henry Clay Frick, 1898.

three men in horse drawn carriage, including Henry Clay Frick, circa 1898

Portrait of Henry Clay Frick and Childs Frick, circa 1884.

photo of Henry Clay Frick, seated with toddler, Childs Frick, circa 1884

Helen Clay Frick and Childs Frick in France, circa 1898.

photo of young Helen Clay Frick and Childs Frick, circa 1898

Portrait of Childs Frick, age 18. Taken at the Falk Studio at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, 1901.

photo of Childs Frick, age 18, circa 1901

Portrait of Helen Clay Frick and "Fudgie," 1910.

Helen Clay Frick seated with dog, circa 1910

Adelaide Frick (seated at left), Henry Clay Frick (standing), and Helen Clay Frick (at right) at Eagle Rock. This image is a still from films of the family taken around 1918.

Adelaide and Henry Clay Frick in room with with man seated at card table and two young women and dog, circa 1918

Henry Clay Frick and his eldest grandchild, Adelaide Frick (later Adelaide Blanchard) at the Frick family's summer house in Pride's Crossing, Mass., 1918.

photo of Henry Clay Frick standing next to young granddaughter, Adelaide, atop horse, circa 1918

Henry Clay Frick with eldest granddaughter Adelaide Frick at Eagle Rock, 1919.

Photo of Henry Clay Frick tipping his hat and lounging on steps at with young granddaughter, Adelaide, circa 1919

Henry Clay Frick with his second grandchild Frances (later Mrs. I. Townsend Burden, Jr.). This image is a still from films of the family taken around 1918.

Still of Henry Clay Frick seated outside with grandchild, Frances in lap, holding cat, circa 1918

Henry Clay Frick with his eldest grandchild Adelaide (later Mrs. Pater Blanchard, II). This image is a still from films of the family taken around 1918.

Still of Henry Clay Frick seated with his grandaughter, Adelaide, outside,  circa 1918.

Henry Clay Frick was born, from relatively modest Mennonite stock, on December 19, 1849, in West Overton, a rural community in southwestern Pennsylvania. The second child of an immigrant farmer who married the daughter of a flour merchant and whisky distiller, Frick worked as a salesman in one of Pittsburgh's most prominent stores and became the well-paid chief bookkeeper of the family distillery; he retained an expertise in accounting for the rest of his life. West Overton was eight miles north of Connellsville, a center in the fledgling iron industry, whose rich coal beds yielded seams of high-grade bituminous coal, ideal for coking. In March 1871, Frick, in partnership with a cousin, invested family money to acquire low-priced coking fields and build fifty coke ovens. Within a decade, H. C. Frick Coke Company would operate some thousand working ovens and produce almost eighty percent of the coke used by Pittsburgh's burgeoning iron and steel industries.

Once launched in the coke industry, Frick moved permanently to Pittsburgh, establishing residence in the prosperous Homewood section of the city after his marriage in December 1881 to the twenty-two-year-old Adelaide Howard Childs, daughter of a boot and shoe manufacturer. The Fricks' first home was an eleven-room, two-and-a-half-story house purchased for $25,000 in August 1882. This Italianate residence, called Clayton, was remodeled in 1891 into a twenty-three-room four-story Loire château, a style popularized during the 1870s in New York. It is now home to the Frick Art & Historical Center.

Frick and Adelaide had four children, only two of whom survived into adulthood: a son, Childs, born in 1883, and a daughter, Helen, born in 1888. Helen, who never married, founded the Frick Art Reference Library in memory of her father in 1920. She remained its director until 1983, the year before her death at age ninety-six. Childs Frick's children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren have served as presidents of The Frick Collection and members of the Board of Trustees since the museum formally opened to the public in December 1935.

duotone photograph of Henry Clay Frick head and shoulders

In May 1882, Frick entered into partnership with the Scottish-born steel manufacturer Andrew Carnegie. For the next two decades, as the expansion of the railways created an ever-increasing demand for iron and steel, Frick dedicated himself wholeheartedly to the joint fortunes of the H. C. Frick Coke Company and the Carnegie Brothers Steel Company. He was a lifelong opponent of organized labor, and his refusal to allow union workers at his mines led to the infamous Homestead strike of July 1892, in which ten men were killed and sixty wounded. The same month, Frick himself was attacked in a failed assassination attempt by a twenty-five-year-old Russian anarchist. He cabled both his mother and Carnegie: "Was twice shot, but not dangerously."

Frick grew disenchanted with Carnegie and became honorary chairman of the board in December 1894. Five years later, Carnegie abolished Frick's position as chairman of the H. C. Frick Coke Company and the two went to court over the value of Frick's interest. In March 1900 a settlement was reached in which Frick received $30 million in securities. In 1901, having moved from Pittsburgh to New York, Frick became one of the directors of J. P. Morgan's newly incorporated United States Steel Corporation; his official biographer noted that he was the largest individual railway stockholder in the world.

Frick had started to collect paintings seriously in his late forties and began to focus on his collections even more after his move to New York in 1905. In 1913, construction began on Henry Frick's New York mansion on Fifth Avenue between 70th and 71st Streets. The home he erected cost nearly $5,000,000, including the price of the land. The firm of Carrère and Hastings designed the house to accommodate Frick's paintings and other art objects. Even the earliest plans for the residence take into account Frick's intention to leave his house and his art collection to the public, as he knew the Marquess of Hertford had done with his London mansion and comparable collection some years earlier. Frick changed the arrangements of the rooms as he acquired new works to fill the house.

Frick died in 1919. In his will, he left the house and all of the works of art in it together with the furnishings ("subject to occupancy by Mrs. Frick during her lifetime") to become a gallery called The Frick Collection. He provided an endowment of $15 million to be used for the maintenance of the Collection and for improvements and additions. 

Excerpted in part from: The Frick Collection, New York. Bailey, Colin B. et al. Fondation BNP Paribas, Paris and The Frick Collection, New York, 2011 (available in the Museum Shop).


Sign up for news about exhibitions, events, and more. Let us know your interests.