The Frick Collection presented an exhibition devoted to the art of Gabriel de Saint-Aubin, one of the most original and innovative French artists of the Enlightenment. The fruit of many years’ research by curators on both sides of the Atlantic, the exhibition was the first major Saint-Aubin retrospective in more than eighty years and the first ever to include works from both European and North American collections. It was also the first such collaborative effort between The Frick Collection and the Musée du Louvre, where the show will be on view from February 27 to May 26, 2008.
Special Loan: Parmigianino's Antea: A Beautiful Artifice
January 29, 2008 to May 1, 2008
In this exhibition, Parmigianino’s Antea, a special loan from the Museo di Capodimonte in Naples, was exhibited in the United States for the first time in more than twenty years. Although it is widely recognized as a masterpiece of Italian Renaissance female portraiture, little is known about the painting: its date is not firmly established, it is unclear why or for whom the portrait was painted, and the sitter’s identity is a mystery.
The Arnhold Collection of Meissen Porcelain, 1710–50
March 25, 2008 to June 29, 2008
The Frick Collection exhibited a selection of Meissen porcelain from the collection of Henry Arnhold. One of the greatest private holdings of early Meissen assembled in the twentieth century, the collection was formed in two phases, the first in Dresden between 1926 and 1935 by Henry’s parents, Lisa (née Mattersdorff; 1890–1972) and Heinrich (1885–1935) Arnhold ; the second, by Henry in New York between 1972 and 2006.
Particularly beloved among the paintings at The Frick Collection are its three works by Johannes Vermeer (1632– 1675), Officer and Laughing Girl(left), Mistress and Maid (center), and Girl Interrupted at Her Music (right).These rare canvases were purchased by Henry Clay Frick before his death in 1919. This summer, the institution offers visitors their first opportunity in nearly ten years to examine the paintings together on one wall.
The Frick Collection presented the first monographic exhibition dedicated to Andrea Riccio (1470–1532), one of the most creative sculptors of the Renaissance. On view were thirty-one autograph works representing every phase of Riccio’s career, three bronzes believed to be derived from the artist’s lost compositions, and two life-size terracotta sculptures. Andrea Riccio: Renaissance Master of Bronze was shown exclusively at The Frick Collection.