(Daguerre ovale or cassolette à monter)
Hard-paste porcelain from the Royal Manufactory of Sèvres
Gilt-bronze Mounts attributed to Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1751–1843)
French, Paris, c. 1786–88
14 ¾ x 15 1/8 x 7 ¼ in. (37.5 x 38.4 x 18.4 cm)
Location: North Hall
Between 1786 and 1788, the Royal Manufactory of Sèvres produced a dozen round and oval vases in dark blue hard-paste porcelain that were fitted with gilt-bronze mounts attributed to the renowned bronzemaker Pierre-Philippe Thomire. The oval version shown here was commissioned in November of 1786 by Dominique Daguerre, the preeminent Parisian marchand-mercier (merchant of luxury goods) of the period, and thus was referred to in the factory’s records as a “vase Daguerre ovale.” The vase exemplifies the highly sophisticated luxury items produced in France on the eve of the revolution. Its symmetry recalls ancient models, as do its gilt-bronze mounts, which are in the shape of acanthus and laurel leaves, pine cones, and palmettes.