Margaret Iacono: Guercino's "Aldrovandi Dog"

The Aldrovandi Dog was painted by Guercino around 1625. Although the dog's name has been lost to time, we know that Count Filippo Maria Aldrovandi (1598-1644) owned the white and brindle mastiff because its elaborate leather collar bears the Aldrovandi coat of arms. It is part of the special exhibition Masterpieces of European Painting from the Norton Simon Museum, that was on display at The Frick Collection from February 10, 2009 to May 10, 2009.