Director Anne L. Poulet Announces Two Additions to The Frick Collection
Director Anne L. Poulet announces that following a recent meeting of the Board of Trustees, The Frick Collection made two significant additions to its holdings. This spring, the institution purchased an undisputed masterpiece both of sculpture and clockmaking, The Dance of Time: Three Nymphs Supporting a Clock by Lepaute. It features a timepiece by the firm of clockmakers working for Kings Louis XV and XVI as well as a remarkable sculpture by Claude Michel, called Clodion (1738-1814). In the eighteenth century, this object was recognized as one of the artist’s masterpieces in the terracotta medium, and one of the Lepautes’ greatest creations. Indeed, The Dance of Time is also the only known eighteenth-century clock that features terracotta not as a sketch medium but as finished sculpture. Created in 1788 for celebrated architect Alexandre-Théodore Brongniart, the object was also the first such clock designed by Lepaute for a glass globe (and the only one in which the original glass survives). At the same spring Board meeting, the gift of a rare plaster statuette of Diana the Huntress by Jean-Antoine Houdon (1741-1828) was accepted from the distinguished collector Frederick R. Koch. Both objects are undergoing study and conservation this summer and will be placed on public view in the galleries of the museum the fall of 2006.