First Special Presentation on Frick Porcelain in Fifteen Years
In 1915 Henry Clay Frick acquired a magnificent group of eighteenthcentury objets d’art to complete the décor of his new home at 1 East 70th Street. Among these was a striking pair of large mounted porcelains, the subject of an upcoming decorative arts focus presentation on view in the Cabinet gallery, the museum’s first ceramics exhibition in fifteen years. Visually splendid, delightfully inventive, and quintessentially French, the jars fuse eighteenth-century French collectors’ love of rare Asian porcelains with their enthusiasm for natural exotica. Assembled in Paris shortly before 1750, the Frick jars are a hybrid of imported Chinese porcelain and French gilt-bronze mounts in the shape of bulrushes (curling along the handles) and shells, sea fans, corals, and pearls (on the lids).