The Frick Collection Marks its 75th Anniversary: Celebrations Include a Summer Architectural Display, Education Programs, A New Film, a Free Public Day, and More
Seventy-five years ago, the intention of Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919) to present to New York City his extraordinary art collection and magnificent mansion at 1 East 70th Street was realized with the opening of The Frick Collection. The museum’s opening in 1935 was accompanied by national headlines, and present at the inaugural celebration were luminaries of the social and political worlds. Invited were Colonel and Mrs. Charles Lindbergh as well as members of the Astor, Bache, Carnegie, Mellon, Rockefeller, Straus, Sulzberger, Vanderbilt, and Warburg families. s.