Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919), a Pittsburgh coke and steel industrialist, began forming his art collection in 1881, and continued to acquire works of art until his death in 1919. He bequeathed his New York City residence, furnishings, and art collection to be established as a public art gallery called The Frick Collection, which opened to the public in December 1935.
The Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library records consist of correspondence and memoranda, photographs, architectural records, minutes, ledgers, financial and legal documents, printed material, scrapbooks, and audio-visual materials documenting the founding and administration of the Collection and the Library.
Correspondence, primarily with White, Allom & Co., invoices, and lists concerning the interior decoration and furnishings of the Fricks' New York residence. Additional materials concerning furnishings in the Frick residences can be found in the Frick Family Papers.
Reports, correspondence, memorandums, budgets, and notes regarding the planning and details of the alterations and additions to The Frick Collection and the construction of the Frick Art Reference Library.
Photographs of the construction of Frick's New York residence and Frick Art Reference Library, the renovation of the residence, interior and exterior views, building details, and staff photographs. Also contains photographs of artwork and furnishings in the Collection.
Concert programs, tickets, schedules, correspondence, memorandums, texts of the intermission talks presented by Collection staff members, and promotional materials documenting the Collection’s concert series.
Contracts, work orders, invoices, receipts, vouchers, and daily progress reports documenting the work of the subcontractors during the conversion of the Frick residence into a public gallery and the construction of the new Frick Art Reference Library building.
Alphabetical subject files documenting the conversion of the New York residence of Henry Clay Frick to The Frick Collection, a public art museum, and the construction of a new Frick Art Reference Library building. The files include correspondence, internal memorandums, minutes, reports, clippings, inventories, and contracts.