100 Years of Henry Clay Frick’s New York Residence

View Full Screen Version

On November 17, 1914, Henry Clay Frick and his wife moved into their new residence at 1 East 70th Street, now home of The Frick Collection.  An online exhibition to mark the 100th anniversary of this event was created by the Archives of The Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library, and draws upon documents and photographs to tell the story of the house's planning, construction, furnishing, and early days. Developed using Google Open Gallery, the exhibition allows users to enlarge images, view transcripts, and share and compare images. Inquiries regarding the exhibition may be directed to archives@frick.org.

All materials shown, with the exception of the portrait of Thomas Hastings, can be found in The Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library Archives. Portrait of Thomas Hastings courtesy of The New York Public Library Archives, The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox, and Tilden Foundations.

JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST

 

Sign up for news about exhibitions, events, and more. Let us know your interests.