Henry Clay Frick: The New York Residence
At the time of Frick's death in 1919, he willed to the public his New York residence and all of its contents, including art, furniture, and decorative objects, as a museum. This album of photographs, all taken in 1927 by Frick Art Reference Library photographer Ira W. Martin, represents the earliest known photographic documentation of the interior of the house at 1 East 70th Street. Four years later after these photographs were taken on the death of Frick's wife, Adelaide, the trustees of The Frick Collection began the transformation of the house into a museum. The Frick Collection opened to the public in 1935.
Click on image to enlarge.