The Dining Room — Historical Note
The furniture and painted paneling in the Dining Room are modern, designed in the spirit of the English state dining rooms of the eighteenth century. Adjoining the Boucher and the Fragonard Rooms, the Dining Room demonstrates clearly that Mr. Frick’s catholic taste was equally drawn toward English period design. With the exception of Gainsborough’s unusual landscape, The Mall in St. James’s Park, the paintings hanging here are all British portraits. Over the English eighteenth-century marble chimneypiece hangs a portrait by John Hoppner of The Ladies Sarah and Catherine Bligh, painted probably about 1790. On the opposite wall hangs George Romney’s roughly contemporary portrait of Henrietta, Countess of Warwick, and Her Children — a tender image of motherhood. Two monumental Chinese famille rose covered vases stand in the corners of the room by the windows facing the park. A set of four smaller Chinese jars and some examples of English silver are placed on the serving tables. On the chimneypiece a pair of dark blue Chinese vases in eighteenth-century French gilt-bronze mounts stand on either side of a Louis XVI clock with movement by Ferdinand Berthoud.