The Fragonard Room — Historical Note
This room is the setting for an ensemble of canvases by Fragonard and a remarkable group of French eighteenth-century furniture. Four of these canvases — The Pursuit, The Meeting, The Lover Crowned, and Love Letters — were commissioned in 1771 for Madame du Barry, mistress of Louis XV, and were installed in a new pavilion on the grounds of her château at Louveciennes. Upon their completion they were rejected in favor of a series commissioned from Joseph-Marie Vien. In 1790 Fragonard brought the paintings to his native Grasse and installed them in his cousin’s house, along with two additional large panels, four overdoors, and four slender panels of hollyhocks. These masterpieces of rococo painting decorated the London residence of J. Pierpont Morgan before Mr. Frick acquired them in 1915.