Piero della Francesca in America


In 1454, Piero della Francesca was commissioned to paint the high altarpiece for the church of Sant’Agostino in Borgo San Sepolcro (now known as Sansepolcro). Six of the paintings in this exhibition are fragments of this single altarpiece.

This massive polyptych towered over its high altar for almost one hundred years. Disassembled in the sixteenth century, the altarpiece can be reimagined in a reconstruction projected from the eight surviving paintings.

Hover over the paintings and click to zoom in.