East Gallery

Along with the Garden Court, Oval Room, and Music Room, the East Gallery was created for the conversion of the mansion into a museum. Classical elements such as the arched portal with its elegant keystone and the fluted Ionic pilasters supporting a graceful entablature reflect decorative details in the original mansion.

Archival Photographs

  • photo of construction including scaffolding, circa 1935

    East Gallery under construction, looking northeast, 1935

  • photo of empty gallery with skylight, circa 1935

    East Gallery under construction, 1935

  • photo of empty gallery with skylight, circa 1935

    East Gallery under construction, 1935

  • photo of gallery with paintings with roping and chairs and skylight, circa 1935

    East Gallery, 1935

  • photo of gallery with paintings, bench and chair, circa 1942

    East Gallery, 1942

  • photo of gallery with paintings, chair, bench and doorways, circa 1942

    East Gallery, looking southwest, 1942

  • photo of gallery with paintings with bench and chair, circa 1942

    East Gallery, northwest corner, 1942

  • photo of painting of woman over table in gallery, circa 1964

    East Gallery, southwest corner, 1964

  • photo of gallery with paintings, circa 1965

    East Gallery, looking east, 1965