Fragonard Room

When Mr. and Mrs. Frick moved into their new residence, this room was called the Drawing Room, a reference to the custom of ladies “withdrawing” from the gentlemen after dinner. Frick’s acquisition of Fragonard’s painted ensemble required that the room be rebuilt to accommodate it. Having purchased the panels from the art dealer Joseph Duveen, Mr. Frick autho- rized him to acquire the sculpture, chimneypiece, furniture, porcelains, and gilt bronze objects that complement Fragonard’s masterpiece; these have remained in the room ever since. The boiseries, or painted wall panels, were designed and executed in Paris by Auguste Decour in the Louis XVI style. The newly christened Fragonard Room opened in 1916.

Archival Photographs

  • photo of room with paintings in panels, chandelier, table, chairs, circa 1927

    Fragonard Room, 1927

  • photo of room with paintings in panels, table in center, lighting fixture, circa 1927

    Fragonard Room, 1927

  • photo of room with paintings in panels, table in center, urns on tables, lighting fixture, circa 1927

    Fragonard Room, 1927

  • photo of gallery with paintings in panels, chandelier, table, ropes, runner, circa 1935

    Fragonard Room, 1935

  • photo of room with white protective covering over furniture, walls and lighting fixture, circa 1935

    Fragonard Room during construction of The Frick Collection, 1935

  • photo of paintings in panels, mirror over fireplace, table, and lighting fixture, circa 1959

    Fragonard Room, north wall looking east, 1959

  • photo of gallery with paintings in panel, chandelier, table in center, chairs,  circa 1959

    Fragonard Room, north wall looking west, 1959

  • photo of room with paintings in panels, chandelier, table, circa 1969

    Fragonard Room, east wall, 1969

  • photo of paintings in panels, chandelier, with many plants, circa 1976

    Fragonard Room, circa 1976