Portico Gallery

The Portico Gallery was opened in 2011. Originally a covered walkway that faced the Fifth Avenue lawn, the Portico was designed by Thomas Hastings, the architect of the mansion. The architectural firm Davis Brody Bond enclosed the original Portico on the south side with glass while preserving the existing limestone walls, Ionic columns, and ceiling to create an exhibition space for sculpture and ceramics and other decorative arts.

Archival Photographs

  • photo of portico or stone porch under construction, with scaffolding, lumber, bricks circa 1913

    Construction of the Portico, 1913

  • photo of portico or stone porch with columns under construction with workers seated, circa 1913

    Construction of the Portico, 1913

  • photo of portico, or stone porch walkway with columns, next to garden,  circa 1927

    Portico, 1927

  • photo of portico, or stone porch hallway, circa 1933

    Portico, 1933

  • photo of portico or stone porch with columns with sun shining though, circa 1933

    Portico, 1933

  • photo of portico or stone porch, alongside tree in garden, circa 1939

    Portico, 1939