June 1, 1974 to October 31, 1976
A single picture loan exhibition of the Pontormo painting, Portrait of a Halberdier, displayed June through October each year from 1974 to 1976.
May 10, 1973 to September 9, 1973
The Frick Collection presented a special loan exhibition of Italian paintings from the collection of Miss Helen Clay Frick. Although some of these paintings, including works by Duccio, Sassetta and Giovanni di Paolo, were well known to scholars, they had rarely been on public view. Miss Frick acquired the paintings in the 1920s and early 1930s--a time when Italian primitive and particularly Sienese paintings were much sought after by collectors.
November 27, 1972 to March 29, 1974
A single loan exhibition of Edgar Degas's Violinist, a study for The Frick Collection'sThe Rehearsal, in memory of Harry D.M. Grier (1914–1972), former director of The Frick Collection. The loan was extended after the drawing's initial display in the H.D.M. Grier Memorial Loan Exhibition (November 1972).
H. D. M. Grier Memorial Loan Exhibition: Paintings and Drawings Related to Works in The Frick Collection
November 14, 1972 to November 26, 1972
This unique loan exhibition was assembled to honor the accomplishments of Harry D. M. Grier (1914–1972), third Director of The Frick Collection. Generous lenders made it possible to bring together, in most cases for the first time, major preparatory studies and alternate versions of some of the most significant paintings in The Frick Collection.
April 24, 1970 to May 31, 1970
A single picture loan exhibition of the Pontormo painting, Portrait of a Halberdier, in honor of the late Frederick Mortimer Clapp, first director of The Frick Collection and distinguished Pontormo scholar.
July 11, 1969 to September 28, 1969
An exhibition devoted to eight old master drawings. These were acquired by the Trustees after 1919 to complement paintings in the Frick Collection and add to the original group of drawings assembled by Henry Clay Frick.
January 9, 1969 to April 21, 1969
The Frick Collection held an exhibition of thirteen works by Rembrandt as part of a series of exhibitions of drawings and prints belonging to The Frick Collection. Three drawings acquired by Henry Clay Frick in 1913 were included, as well as ten prints purchased between 1915 and 1919.
January 7, 1969 to March 30, 1969
This exhibition was devoted to landscapes in The Frick Collection. Eight examples by Rembrandt, Gainsborough, Corot and Whistler were chosen to represent the variety of subjects and interpretations of nature.
October 15, 1968 to January 5, 1969
The Frick Collection presented an exhibition of sixteenth-century paintings, drawings, and prints, showing a recently acquired Bruegel panel, The Three Soldiers, together with drawings by Altdorfer and Deutsch depicting the same type of colorful mercenary soldiers, called landsknechte. Drawings by Dürer, Rubens, and Titian were also displayed.
July 3, 1968 to October 1, 1968
As part of a series of exhibitions of drawings and prints, The Frick Collection held this one devoted to the etchings of Charles Meryon (1821–1868). There are fourteen prints by Meryon belonging to The Frick Collection, all of which were acquired by Henry Clay Frick between 1916–1917.