- Open free of charge to visitors 16 years of age or older.
- No appointment is necessary.
Use of the Library requires registration
- First-time researchers are required to bring a valid photo ID.
- To register online, see the Registration Form. Researchers must visit the Library to complete the registration process.
- Registered researchers must present their Library cards to enter.
- Library cards are for use by the individuals to whom they are issued. They are non-transferable.
- By accepting the cards, researchers agree to follow the policies of the Library.
- No admittance after 4:50 p.m. on weekdays or after 1:50 p.m. on Saturdays.
- Coats, umbrellas, camera and laptop cases, and bags larger than 9" x 12" x 3" must be checked.
- Luggage is not permitted and will not be checked.
- No artworks will be checked. Artworks less than 24" x 24" can be brought to the Reading Room only with the prior permission of the Andrew W. Mellon Chief Librarian or the Chief of Public Services. Art more than 24" x 24" is not permitted in the Reading Room. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission.
Learn more about the Library.