Xavier F. Salomon, Peter Jay Sharp Chief Curator, previews the upcoming fall exhibition dedicated to the Roman Silversmith, Luigi Valadier. He discusses the Frick’s recent acquisition of a rare vase by the artist, which will be featured in the show.
Director Ian Wardropper (along with Publications Editor Rebecca Brooke), discusses the Frick’s plans to upgrade and expand its buildings, the institution’s first comprehensive upgrade since 1935.
Margaret Iacono, Associate Research Curator, writes about a lost marble bust of Frick Art Reference founder Helen Clay Frick, by American sculptor Malvina Cornell Hoffman. A plaster model of the bust, a recent gift to the museum, represents an intriguing episode in Frick family history and provides a welcome opportunity to recall the career of a fascinating artist.
Director Ian Wardropper looks ahead to programs of the coming months and discusses the Frick’s inclusion in Apollo Magazine’s “best of 2017” awards.
Xavier F. Salomon, Peter Jay Sharp Chief Curator, writes about a painting believed to be a copy after a lost portrait by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (and described as such in the catalogue of the current special exhibition), this portrait has very recently been restored and discovered to be the original. It will remain on view through the rest of the New York exhibition.
Director Ian Wardropper discusses current and upcoming exhibitions, including Murillo: The Self-Portraits.
Jenna Nugent, Assistant to the Chief Curator, writes on a loan by the French artist Anne-Louis Girodet de Roussy-Trioson, which is currently on display in the North Hall. The landscape is one of only a few by Girodet executed during his time in Naples.
Stephen K. Scher, the co- curator (along with Associate Curator Aimee Ng) of the special exhibition The Pursuit of Immortality, discusses his decades-long fascination of portrait medals.
Director Ian Wardropper thanks Margot Bogert, who recently retired as Chair of the Board of Trustees after twelve years.
The first two Turner paintings in the United States were bought by James Lenox (1800–1880) in 1845 and 1850, and were on display in The Lenox Library, which was demolished in 1912 to make way for the construction of the Frick mansion. In 1877, the Lenox Library was open to the public on Mondays and Fridays from 11:00 a.m.