The creation, growth, and present-day role of The Frick Art Reference Library was the focus of a special exhibition marking the seventieth anniversary of the founding of the institution. The first section of the exhibition surveyed the Library's history from its foundation to the present. Photographs, architectural plans, records, maps, newspaper clippings, and artifacts documented the Library's growth from its early acquisition of materials to the time of the construction of the first building (1924) and the current location (1935) at 10 East 71st Street.
The Frick Collection is closed. Please refer to this page for updates. »
The first exhibition devoted entirely to the work of this long-neglected French Rococo master who during his lifetime was one of Europe’s most celebrated artists. The prolific Lancret was a favorite of Louis XV and Frederick the Great as well as of international nobility, but during the nineteenth century he fell under the shadow of his mentor Antoine Watteau. Lancret in fact had a singular and brilliant talent of his own, as this exhibition demonstrated.
An exibition of some sixty drawings recently acquired by the Art Institute of Chicago. The drawings included a wide range of works from many countries and periods, including superb examples by such well-known masters as Annibale Carracci, Hubert Robert, Gainsborough, Gericault, Monet, Redon, and Renoir. Among them were also two exceptionally fine landscapes by Claude Lorrain, a brooding, dark self-portrait by Joseph Wright of Derby, and an early Delacroix figure study which might almost be taken for one by Degas.