The Greentree Foundation generously lent to The Frick Collection for a period of one year six master paintings from the former collection of Mr. and Mrs. John Hay Whitney. The group included Corot's Cottage and Mill by a Torrent (Morvan or Auvergne), 1831; Manet's Racecourse at the Bois de Boulogne, 1872; Degas' Before the Race, 1882-88, and Landscape with Mounted Horsemen, c. 1892; Picasso's Boy with a Pipe, 1905; and Redon's Flowers in a Green Vase, c. 1910.
Exhibitions presented at The Frick Collection during 2000.
Andrea Mantegna (1431–1506) painted this small panel during the height of the Italian Renaissance, using detailed, emotion-filled images to depict the moment when Christ appears to the souls in Limbo. The original work was created for Marchese Lodovico Gonzaga in June of 1468. Because it was so highly regarded, several other versions were made, including this smaller one, which was probably done for Ferdinando Carlo, the last Duke of Mantua, around 1470–75. Lent through the generosity of the Barbara Piasecka Johnson Collection, it was on view in the Enamels Room.
A survey of five centuries of draftsmanship by Italian, Flemish, Dutch, British, French, and German artists, this exhibition brought together seventy-three works on paper culled from the National Gallery of Scotland's premier collection of some fourteen thousand sheets. Spanning the fifteenth to the nineteenth centuries, The Draftsman's Art included examples by masters such as Leonardo, Raphael, Rubens, Boucher, Blake, Ingres, and Seurat.
In another of its ongoing series of single-picture exhibitions, The Frick Collection presented Raeburn's celebrated skating minister on loan from the National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh. Completed by Sir Henry Raeburn (1756-1823) around 1784, this image of the Rev. Robert Walker — minister of the Canongate Kirk and an avid member of the Skating Society — is one of the Gallery's most beloved works.
To mark the four-hundredth anniversary of the birth of Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (1599–1660), The Frick Collection brought together for the first time six of the Spanish master’s portraits belonging to public collections in New York.
Marking the 150th Anniversary of the birthday of founder Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919), this small exhibition drew attention to a lesser-known aspect of the broad collecting interests of the museum's founder. Ten drawings that Mr. Frick acquired between 1913 and 1916 — including examples in various media by Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn, Thomas Gainsborough, Daniel Gardner, and James McNeill Whistler — were on view in the Cabinet Gallery in the museum's first floor, along with related documents and photographs. Though Mr.
This major spring exhibition featured masterpieces on paper selected not only to demonstrate the superb holdings of this illustrious Austrian institution, but to chronicle the major assets acquired during the tenure of each of its directors. Works by Rembrandt and Dürer were featured as well as twentieth-century masters acquired by the present regime.
This exhibition consisted of approximately sixty landscape oil sketches from the collection of the art historians John and Charlotte Gere. Dating from the seventeenth to the nineteenth centuries, these small, rapidly-executed sketches on paper, panel, or canvas were painted outdoors by artists across Europe to sharpen their skills of perception and execution; they were rarely intended for public exhibition.
This comprehensive survey of drawings by Jean-Antoine Watteau (1684–1721) and some of his leading contemporaries included more than sixty-five drawings lent from public and private collections in North America. A core of some thirty-five drawings by Watteau himself demonstated the evolution and range of his graphic art, with examples of all the signficant subjects that he drew and all the genres and graphic media in which he worked.