Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775–1851)
Dieppe from the North-East, ca. 1826–27
Graphite and watercolor on paper
6 11/16 x 9 3/8 in. (17 x 23.8 cm)
Tate; Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
© Tate, London 2016
Turner painted this bird’s-eye view of the harbor in the small hamlet of Le Pollet, perched atop a cliff that looks across the water to the Quai Henri IV, Dieppe’s main artery. He had made sketches from this vista on previous visits to the port. Rising above the band of buildings that enclose the harbor’s basin are two of the city’s historic landmarks: the church of St. Jacques and the Château de Dieppe, on the right.