Andrea del Sarto: The Renaissance Workshop in Action

Exhibition Dates:

October 7, 2015, through January 10, 2016

Drawing of head of a man

Andrea d’Agnolo (1486–1530), called Andrea del Sarto after his father’s profession as a tailor (sarto), transformed sixteenth-century Florence through his art and that of the artists he trained. Through his large and prolific workshop, one of the most significant of the age, he enriched his native city with portraits, altarpieces, and fresco paintings. Drawings were at the core of his creative process. Produced primarily in red and black chalks, his vibrant figure studies, energetic compositional drawings, and masterful head studies display the range of his talents as a draftsman and the complex roles that drawing played in developing his paintings. This autumn, The Frick Collection celebrates the Italian master with Andrea del Sarto: The Renaissance Workshop in Action, the first major U.S. monographic exhibition devoted to his art, centering on his working process and the complex role that drawing played in it. This exhibition was organized with the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, where it has run as a summer show. In New York, the presentation will feature forty-five drawings and three paintings from international collections and will offer an unprecedented look inside the creative production of one of the most influential figures in Italian Renaissance art. To be shown in the Oval Room and in the lower-level galleries, the exhibition was coordinated at the Frick by Associate Curator Aimee Ng and is accompanied by a substantial catalogue as well as a series of public programs. Principal funding for the exhibition in New York is generously provided by Gilbert and Ildiko Butler. Major local funding is also provided by the Robert H. Smith Family Foundation, The Christian Humann Foundation, and Andrea Woodner, with additional funding from Helen-Mae and Seymour Askin, Diane Allen Nixon, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Victor Thaw, David and Julie Tobey, the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, Jon and Barbara Landau, and Margot and Jerry Bogert.

Tags: Artist:

Basic Information

General Information Phone:
212.288.0700
Web Site: Building project: E-mail: App: Museum Entrance:
1 East 70th Street, near Fifth Avenue
Museum Hours:

Open six days a week: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Tuesdays through Saturdays; 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sundays. Closed Mondays, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Limited hours (11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) on Lincoln’s Birthday, Election Day, and Veterans Day.

PLEASE NOTE TO YOUR READERS: Children under ten are not admitted to the Collection.

Museum Admission:

$22; senior citizens $17; students $12; “pay what you wish” on Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Subway:

#6 local (on Lexington Avenue) to 68th Street station; Bus: M1, M2, M3, and M4 southbound on Fifth Avenue to 72nd Street and northbound on Madison Avenue to 70th Street.

Tour Information:

Included in the price of admission is an Acoustiguide Audio Tour of the permanent collection. The tour is offered in six languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish.

Shop:

The shop is open the same days as the Museum, closing fifteen minutes before the institution.

Group Museum Visits:

Please call 212.288.0700 for details and to make reservations.

Public Programs:

A calendar of events is published regularly and is available upon request.