Frick Launches the Public Phase of the Capital Campaign for its Renovation

A rendering of a building with people walking and cycling in front

The Frick Collection Moves into the Public Phase of its Capital Campaign

Supporting the Renovation and Enhancement of its Historic Buildings

With $242 Million Raised to Date, Campaign for the Frick includes Lead Support from Frick Trustee Stephen A. Schwarzman and Participation of Many Others

New York, NY (November 2, 2023)—The Frick Collection announced today the launch of the public phase of its capital campaign, which has already raised $242 million during its quiet phase in support of the ongoing renovation and enhancement of the institution’s historic buildings. Designed by Selldorf Architects in collaboration with Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners, the project is the first comprehensive upgrade of the Frick’s facilities in nearly ninety years and will allow the public to experience more of the original Frick family residence. With a public opening anticipated for late 2024, the renovated museum and library will include newly created spaces for exhibitions, education, and conservation, new public amenities, increased accessibility, and upgraded systems and infrastructure, ensuring the ongoing vitality of the Frick for decades to come.

With an overall goal of $290 million, the Campaign for the Frick supports the Frick’s renovation and upgrade and provides funding for the temporary relocation of its collections and programs to Frick Madison, which remains open to the public through March 3, 2024. The campaign is anchored by a lead gift of $35 million from long-time Frick Trustee Stephen A. Schwarzman, who helped spearhead the silent phase of the campaign in 2019. In recognition of his generous support, the Frick will name its new auditorium the Stephen A. Schwarzman Auditorium. Major contributions have also been made by the Sidney R. and Susan R. Knafel Family, Margot and Jeremiah M. Bogert, Barbara and Bradford Evans, Elizabeth M. and Jean-Marie R. Eveillard, Barbara N. and James S. Reibel, The Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Foundation, the Sherman Fairchild Foundation, the Estate of Roberta H. Schneiderman, and the Selz Foundation. In addition, the City of New York allocated $6.4 million from the New York City Council and the Office of the Manhattan Borough President in recognition of the contributions and impact of The Frick Collection and the Frick Art Reference Library within the civic, cultural, and educational fabric of the city.

“The Campaign for the Frick is critical to ensuring that the Frick’s unparalleled holdings and historic buildings can be enjoyed and experienced by audiences for years to come,” stated Ian Wardropper, the Frick’s Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Director. “As we eagerly anticipate the reopening of our renovated and enhanced home at the end of next year, the now-public phase of our capital campaign provides an exciting opportunity to engage a wider community in the support of this transformative project. We are grateful to the many foundations, individuals, and government agencies who have played an integral role in our fundraising efforts thus far, making possible our temporary residency at Frick Madison and the revitalizing work continuing at East 70th Street. We look forward to the critical next phase of our campaign, which will help us reach our final fundraising goal.”

Added Elizabeth M. Eveillard, Chair of the Frick’s Board of Trustees, “We would like to acknowledge Stephen A. Schwarzman for his tremendous generosity and leadership gift during the silent phase of our campaign. In addition, we would like to extend a special thank you to the entire Board of Trustees. Their generous commitment of time and expertise is matched only by their advocacy for our institution, which has inspired countless others to support the Frick as we move through this exciting period of revitalization.”


Designed by Selldorf Architects with Beyer Blinder Belle serving as Executive Architect, The Frick Collection’s renovation and enhancement project marks the institution’s first major upgrade since opening to the public in 1935. The project honors the historic legacy and unique character of the Frick, while addressing critical infrastructure and operational needs to ensure the institution’s ongoing sustainability and vibrancy.

When the museum reopens at 1 East 70th Street at the end of next year, visitors will enjoy unprecedented access to the original 1914 residence of Henry Clay Frick and his family, including the mansion’s second floor, which will feature a series of new galleries presenting small-scale works from the Frick’s unparalleled art collection. At the same time, the renovation is restoring the museum’s historic first-floor galleries, preserving the intimate visitor experience for which the Frick is known. A suite of three new galleries on the first floor will be dedicated to the presentation of special exhibitions and will allow these displays, along with loaned objects, to be shown in dialogue with permanent collection works.

The new Stephen A. Schwarzman Auditorium is a key feature of the project. The 220-seat space will enhance the presentation of the Frick’s educational and public programs, which are at the core of its mission. Featuring state-of-the-art acoustics and a striking curvilinear design, the new auditorium will improve the sound quality of all public programs, including lectures, symposia, and concerts. The project additionally features the creation of the Frick’s first-ever dedicated education room for courses and seminars.

Throughout the Frick’s renovated buildings, visitors will find improvements to the museum and library’s overall accessibility, with new entrance ramps, elevators, and restrooms. In addition, there will be a number of new public amenities, including a cafe. The 70th Street Garden, created in the late 1970s by renowned landscape architect Russell Page, is being restored. Major back-of-house improvements include the creation of state-of-the-art conservation facilities for the Frick’s sculpture and decorative arts collections and for its world-class library collections. Along with the creation of a purpose-built art elevator and spaces for installation preparation and storage, similar upgrades will allow the Frick to better care for its collections in perpetuity. For more information about the Frick’s renovation and enhancement project, visit


The Campaign for the Frick was launched in 2019 to support the upgrade and enhancement of the museum and library, ensuring that the Frick remains an inspirational and accessible public resource for all. The $290 million campaign includes $160 million invested in capital improvements and new construction, including the creation of spaces that will enhance the institution’s programs and the overall visitor experience, and $35 million to upgrade the buildings’ infrastructure to improve energy efficiency and long-term sustainability. Additionally, a portion of the campaign supports the temporary relocation of the Frick’s collections and programs to Frick Madison, which has allowed the public to enjoy ongoing access to the Frick’s unparalleled holdings throughout the duration of the construction project. With 83% of necessary funds raised to date during the quiet phase, including $37 million from funds generated through the Frick’s endowment earnings, the Campaign for the Frick has received donations from a wide range of individuals, foundations, and government agencies. The campaign will continue through the reopening of the Frick at its historic Fifth Avenue home, planned for late 2024. 


Housed in one of New York City’s last great Gilded Age homes, The Frick Collection has, for nearly ninety years, provided visitors with an unparalleled opportunity for intimate encounters with one of the world’s foremost collections of fine and decorative arts. The house and collection originated with Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919), who bequeathed his Fifth Avenue residence and collection of European paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts for the enjoyment of the public. The institution’s holdings, which encompass masterworks from the Renaissance through the early twentieth century, have grown over the decades, doubling in size since the opening of the museum in 1935. Adjacent to the museum is the Frick Art Reference Library, founded more than one hundred years ago by Henry Clay Frick’s daughter Helen Clay Frick and recognized as one of the top art history research libraries in the world.

Throughout the renovation and enhancement of the Frick’s historic buildings, the museum and library have continued operations at Frick Madison, which will remain open to the public through March 3, 2024.


Basic Information