The Frick Collection Marks its 75th Anniversary: Celebrations Include a Summer Architectural Display, Education Programs, A New Film, a Free Public Day, and More

The Frick Collection 75th Anniversary logo, 1935-2010

Seventy-five years ago, the intention of Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919) to present to New York City his extraordinary art collection and magnificent mansion at 1 East 70th Street was realized with the opening of The Frick Collection. The museum’s opening in 1935 was accompanied by national headlines, and present at the inaugural celebration were luminaries of the social and political worlds. Invited were Colonel and Mrs. Charles Lindbergh as well as members of the Astor, Bache, Carnegie, Mellon, Rockefeller, Straus, Sulzberger, Vanderbilt, and Warburg families. s.  Critics spoke of it as a great “legacy of beauty” and one where the quality of its collection was “unsurpassed anywhere.”  That same year, the Frick Art Reference Library (founded in 1920 by Frick’s daughter, Helen) was greatly expanded and moved into a new building on the same lot as the original Frick mansion.  Thus, 2010 is a significant milestone for the entire institution, and to mark the occasion, the Frick will present a number of celebrations, programs, and new offerings, culminating with a free day on December 16, 2010, the anniversary of the museum’s public opening in 1935.


Basic Information