In 1965 Childs Frick, son of Henry Clay Frick, left by bequest 220 pieces of Chinese blue-and-white porcelain that he and his wife had purchased over many years. They had chosen the pieces as birthday and Christmas presents and displayed them in thier home in Roslyn, Long Island. A selection later decorated the offices and upstairs staff rooms of the Collection. In the autumn of 1992, for the first time, a large number of pieces were placed on permanent display in the Reception Hall, in specially designed new cases.
Between 1940 and 1972, the trustees of The Frick Collection acquired three adjoining properties with plans to build an additional wing and garden. The final structure, designed by John Barrington Bayley, with Harry Van Dyke and G. Frederick Poehler, was completed in 1977. It includes a Reception Hall, Coat Room, and Shop; its lower floor houses exhibition galleries.