Lenox Library

steamship in stormy seas against backdrop of cliffs

The first two Turner paintings in the United States were bought by James Lenox (1800–1880) in 1845 and 1850, and were on display in The Lenox Library, which was demolished in 1912 to make way for the construction of the Frick mansion. In 1877, the Lenox Library was open to the public on Mondays and Fridays from 11:00 a.m.