The portico, originally a covered walkway that faced the lawn at the north end of the historic Fifth Avenue Garden, was designed by Thomas Hastings, the architect of the Frick residence. In 2011, it was enclosed and its architectural features cleaned and conserved. This underutilized space was transformed into a new daylit gallery for sculpture and decorative arts.
Between 1916 and 1918, Henry Clay Frick purchased several important pieces of porcelain to decorate his New York mansion. Made at Sèvres, the preeminent eighteenth-century French porcelain manufactory, the objects — including vases, potpourris, jugs and basins, plates, a tea service, and a table—were displayed throughout Frick’s residence.