The Frick Collection is closed and will soon embark on its first major renovation in eighty-five years. It will reopen to the public in early 2021 at Frick Madison. »

Entrance Hall of The Frick Collection

Entrance Hall

After the death of Henry Clay Frick’s wife, Adelaide, in 1931, the mansion was transformed into a space suitable as a public institution. Significantly and sensitively expanded by John Russell Pope, the resulting building opened to the public on December 16, 1935, as The Frick Collection. The mansion’s former porte-cochère was demolished to make way for a public entryway, now known as the Entrance Hall.

Archival Photographs

  • photo of entrance hall with till and small sign reading "exit"

    Entrance Hall, undated

  • photo of entrance hall with till, table, contribution box and contribution sign

    Entrance Hall, undated

  • entrance hall empty with hanging light, circa 1935

    Entrance Hall under construction, looking south, 1935

  • photo of empty entrance hall with hanging lamps, circa 1935

    Entrance Hall under construction, looking southeast, 1935

  • outside entrance of the Frick Collection building from street

    Frick Collection entrance, 70th Street, 1958