The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, Massachusetts, is one of the foremost art museums and research centers in the country. Founded by the American collector and heir to the Singer sewing machine fortune Robert Sterling Clark (1877-1956) and his wife Francine (1876-1960), the museum opened to the public in 1955. Assembled by the Clarks and since expanded, the collection has noted holdings of paintings, sculpture, decorative art, and works on paper from the Renaissance to the early twentieth century.
In the summer of 2014 the Clark completed its campus expansion program with the opening of a new visitor, exhibition, and conference center designed by Tadao Ando.
Edgar Degas (1834–1917), Two Portrait Studies of a Man, c. 1856–57 »