Du Paquier Porcelain in the Courts of Europe

As the renown of the Du Paquier manufactory grew, commissions came from capitals throughout Europe. Emperor Charles VI and his court also used the prized objects as diplomatic gifts for their counterparts in foreign lands. In 1726, the Holy Roman Empire and Russia signed a treaty of mutual defense against the Ottoman Empire and subsequently became allies during the War of Polish Succession (1733–35). To strengthen this alliance, Charles VI seems to have sent Anna Ivanovna, Empress of Russia, a service from the Du Paquier manufactory consisting of some forty tureens, including a tureen in the exhibition. Most of the others are in the State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.

The Holy Roman Empire also had strong ties with Spain. A wall sconce commemorates the Second Treaty of Vienna between Austria and Spain, signed in Vienna on July 22, 1731, by the Spanish diplomat Don José Patiño y Rosales, whose coat of arms is painted in the center. The following year, when Charles VI invested the Milanese Antonio Tolomeo de Galli Trivulzio, Prince of Musocco and military governor of Lodi, with the Order of the Golden Fleece, Trivulzio may either have commissioned or was given a superb Du Paquier hunting service that included two chargers (view here and here) painted in the manufactory’s famous monochrome black.

Several clergymen in the higher ranks of the Catholic Church personalized Du Paquier porcelain with their coat of arms. Cardinal Fabio degli Abbati Olivieri, Vatican aide to his cousin, Cardinal Giovanni Francesco Albani (the future Pope Clement XI), owned a tea service consisting of the two trembleuse cups and slop bowl. Archbishop Imre Esterházy of Galántha, Primate of Hungary and a patron of the arts, probably commissioned the two pot-pourri vases displaying his coat of arms. These objects are a testament to the important relationship between Charles VI and the ecclesiastical elite of the Catholic Church.

  • porcelain cup on saucer decorated with coat of arms

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Two Trembleuse Cups and a Slop Bowl with the Coat of Arms of Cardinal Fabio degli Abbati Olivieri, ca. 1735
    Hard-paste porcelain
    Saucers: 1 5/8 × 7 7/8 × 6 in. (4.1 × 20 × 15.2 cm)
    Beakers (with handles): 3 3/8 × 4 1/8 in. (8.6 × 10.5 cm)
    Bowl: H. 3 3/8 in. (8.6 cm); diam. 8 3/4 in. (22.2 cm)
    The Frick Collection; Gift from the Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection, 2016

  • porcelain tureen with covered lid, decorated with coat of arms and flowers

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Tureen from the Service for Czarina Anna Ivanovna, ca. 1735
    Hard-paste porcelain
    9 1/8 × 14 3/8 in. (23.2 × 36.5 cm); diam. 11 3/8 in. (28.9 cm)
    The Frick Collection; Gift of from the Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection, 2016

  • porcelain plate with scene of nude young male with bow, and deer around him

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Charger from the Trivulzio Service, ca. 1735
    Hard-paste porcelain
    Diam. 14 1/2 in. (36.8 cm)
    The Frick Collection; Gift from the Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection, 2016

  • porcelain dish depicting scene of two nude youths or cherubs laying with sheep

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Charger from the Trivulzio Service ca. 1735
    Hard-paste porcelain
    Diam. 14 5/8 in. (37.1 cm)
    The Frick Collection; Gift from the Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection, 2016

  • porcelain coffeepot or jug with deer illustrated

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Coffeepot or Jug, ca. 1735–40
    Hard-paste porcelain
    9 × 8 × 5 1/2 in. (22.9 × 20.3 × 14 cm)
    Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection

  • two pot-pourri vases decorated with dragons and coat of arms

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Two Pot-Pourri Vases with the Coat of Arms of Archbishop Imre Esterházy of Galántha, ca. 1735
    Hard-paste porcelain
    One vase: 9 5/8 × 7 1/8 × 3 7/8 in. (24.4 × 18.1 × 9.8 cm)
    The other: 9 1/2 × 7 1/8 × 3 7/8 in. (24.1 × 18.1 × 9.8 cm)
    The Frick Collection; Gift from the Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection, 2016

  • porcelain wall sconce decorated with coat of arms and two angels holding a crown

    Du Paquier Manufactory
    Wall Sconce, ca. 1732
    Hard-paste porcelain
    16 × 12 in. (40.6 × 30.5 cm)
    Melinda and Paul Sullivan Collection